Saturday 18 July 2015

Review: Sirdar Snuggly DK and Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Baby Fair Isle effect DK.

Sirdar Snuggly DK : Shade 0423
Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Baby Fair Isle effect DK: Shade 0176



I bought this yarn before I knew I was expecting a little boy, either way I love the colour way, I think it is so lovely. I did originally plan to knit a jumper from one of the Sirdar Crofter pattern books I own, but I actually knitted a jumper from Love Knitting for Baby November 2013 magazine. The hat is also from the same issue. 

I really enjoyed using the Sirdar Snuggly Crofter Baby Fair Isle effect DK. The yarn is very soft, easy to knit with and gives good stitch definition. I found no irregularities in the yarn and I felt the yardage was very good. I used one whole ball for the jumper, and I started on a second, but that barely took anything off it. So I used it for the hat, and I still have loads left, so the yardage is very good. The sizes I knitted are to fit 6-12 months old for both the jumper and hat. I would happily buy this yarn again. 

The Sirdar Snuggly DK, is so soft. I felt it was a lot more softer than the baby crofter, I can't figure out why it feels softer because both yarns are made up of 55% Nylon and 45% Acrylic. Unfortunately I didn't have a good experience knitting with this yarn. I think I must have picked a bad ball. The yarn would unravel whilst knitting, especially on a purl row. The yarn shed a lot, lots of fluff, not smooth like the baby crofter, and also the yarn would go from thick to thin, it wasn't very consistent. Which as a knitter I found infuriating. But I persevered and knitted two projects with it. I used it as the accent yarn for both the jumper and the hat. Luckily any irregularities from this yarn can only been seen on the wrong side. 

Over all I like the outcome of both the jumper and hat, I'm looking forward to putting my baby in it when he is here.

Nikki xx

No comments:

Post a Comment